Sunday, September 2, 2007

The end of summer


I'm making the Nani Iro Fuccra into quilted bedspreads that just cover the mattresses with a flap on the end to cover the pillow out of the black with white polka dots. I may use the cream Fuccra for the opposite side to make them reversible with a little bit of dark pink piping running 'round the edge. I will turn them to the black side on Labor Day and the cream side on Easter.

I'm redoing the entire nursery. The bunk bed needs a gypsy wagon paint job. The wingback needs a hand-painted painters' cloth slipcover. I am thinking about fabric shutters with tree branch shadows for the window.

I have visions of a curiosity cabinet like the ones we saw in Vienna filled with all the treasures the little Lears bring home and two miniature Lincoln desks for writing homework essays. I would like to redecorate the mantle, but there is no fireplace.

2 comments:

hyacinthgirl said...

A few hours ago, saw a beautiful faux fireplace sitting out on the curb a few blocks away, waiting for the morning garbage pickup. Didn't have a place for it, but loved the possibilities.

Mrs. Lear said...

I'm going to have to make one. It needs to be teensy, like a coal stove. I have some outdoor lights shaped like dragon flies and when I put them in a huge jar they look like fireflies - this would be the "fire". The hard part is getting it to sit flush with the wall.