Monday, January 14, 2008

Cafes


There is a scene in The Moderns where two people discuss the difficulty of switching cafes. I have several places I like to be, only one has good coffee. The twelve years we have lived here I have never visited this cafe and yet every time we pass someone in my family will remind me that the lady on the sign is holding her tea cup to her head just like I do. And I say, we should really go there sometime. This New Year's I am trying new things that have been there all along.

3 comments:

Judy said...

Which is the one with the good coffee? Surely it must be Peets? Always looking for a good cafe in Berkeley...

And thanks for the image of this place. I could walk there from the Durant, which is where I stay when I'm in Berkeley on business.

Mrs. Lear said...

Yes Judy you are right! "Our" cafe with the best pastry is Masse's on Shattuck and Vine and our "secret" cafe with good sandwiches is Panini at 2115 Allston Place. Cafe Fanny is my favorite for a late lunch despite being in a parking lot. And Gregoire's takeout with tiny bar seating and two outside tables is fantastic for lunch. Let me know if you try the Musical Offering Cafe!

dale-harriet said...

What a dream - classical music & a cafe; almost as good as my cherished yarn-shop cafe! This is Berkeley? aaah, I've only been there once, and there was tear gas involved, and Sproul Plaza and stuff. (Ah, Joyous Halcyon Days of Youth!) Dare I say it? These days I'm happy sitting with my knitting and cats. Mostly. Unrepentant Hippies unite....