Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Lemon gold


I am treating these beautiful Meyer lemons from my friend Eleni like deer I have shot with a bow and arrow, using every part to honor the noble citrus. Here I grated the peel into sugar for lemon-flavored ice cream. I also candied some peel and put it in a jar with the syrup - it's marmalade really. I wonder if I could make a simple syrup from the peel for sodas and drinks and then candy the peel separately for breads and cookies? I can't nail their antlers to the wall, but maybe I should paint a still life of the last three and hang it on the wall.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't forget your husband gave one peel to the Earth gods of the compost bin.

Eliza said...

I've made pies with Meyer lemons. Paper thin slices of 4 whole lemons... yum!