Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Mason-Dixon Knitting: Outside the Lines


The new Mason-Dixon book is out today.  Make yourself a pot of coffee and find a little something to munch on, because once you open this book you will not be able to move. I'm so proud to be included in this wonderful book. There are over 30 patterns - women's coats to tiny felt trees.
Not only are the patterns wonderful as written, they inspire other creations as well. Cristina's Via Veneto Table Runner in something silky would also make a lovely wrap. The Margaret sweater is so adaptable, and the embroidery directions would create an incredible baby blanket. The Belinda wrap in two shades of linen would make a wonderful window hanging. All the blanket patterns could be used for smaller projects like pillows or the felted bag. Kiki Mariko is driving me crazy - a rug, a bag, a floor pillow, a slipcover, a king-size bedspread! I want to make the tiny girl coat, Fern, for myself, but I can see it as a long wrap as well using the same shades for the stripes, but something like Silky Wool or Rowan's Summer Tweed. I'm going to use the Superfestive Lantern pattern to cover artsy Ikea lamps. I haven't even talked about the stories, the techniques, the top-down sweater, the Jane Austen dress and shrug - and the potential holiday gift items, like my Monteagle string bag available here

8 comments:

Cristina said...

I want to make a wrap for my bubble lamp...bubble wrap? Leave it to Kay and Ann to figure out how to knit that.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! What a neat bag!

Kate said...

love that bag!

Kay said...

Is there no pattern out there yet called Bubble Wrap? Doesn't that just cry out to have a pattern?

THANKS MRS. LEAR, for the bag(s) and the inspiration, and the company....

pixlkitten said...

I had to go out and buy the book first thing this morning. Well, after I showered and brushed my teeth (don't want to offend bookstore people). The bag is fabulous! I have been looking for a pattern like that all summer. How did you know?

Kristin Shields said...

Very cool! I don't know if you remember me from Cat's retreat last year, but I remember you. I'm excited to see you have a blog now, so I'll be reading up on the past posts.

Sel and Poivre said...

Congratulations - the bag looks wickedly tiny when not in use - always a huge plus for string bags!

Claudia said...

I read your blog a lot and am reading the new Mason-Dixon book. I was thrilled to see your work and your picture in the back of the book.
Congratulations!