Friday, October 12, 2007

Under the housetop


I knit this version of Sue Willie Seltzer's Housetop - nine-block Half-Log Cabin variation from The Quilts of Gee's Bend a while ago. I was inspired by Kay's knitted quilt.

We have been using it this week in the afternoons because it's been so chilly. It's so nice laying across a bed, spread on the floor, folded into a single mitered square on a chair.

It is missing one turquoise square - my way of keeping it "unfinished" so I don't have to mail it off to my sister. I may knit one more miter and attach it to the back of the middle square bottom row so that the whole thing can be folded into a pillow case.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

What kind of yarn were you thinking for the heating pad cover: cotton or linen, perhaps?

Cristina said...

Rain on the green grass and rain on the trees. Rain on the housetop, but not on me.

Mrs. Lear said...

I'm going to use wool. I like the way wool holds the heat and how it hides my sloppy knitting when it blocks out!

Anonymous said...

I love it . I would attach the turquoise one on the back in the bottom corner, then sew it on the 2 outer sides so you could fold the whole thing into that corner? If you put buttons on the square on the RS, and loops on the turquoise miter, you could fasten it in and then it would really be a pillow when you didn't need the blanket.

Can you tell I am jazzed by this idea? This blanket came out so well. xoxox Kay

Mrs. Lear said...

Kay - I got the idea for the pillow cover from Elizabeth Zimmerman's Puzzle Blanket - I like this idea a lot because it makes room for more blankets in my life.

AmberCake said...

I have a very vivid memory of seeing this quilt when the Gee's Bend show was in NYC at the Whitney - it was just stunning. I think your knitted piece captures all the best aspects of it. It's really great.