Monday, September 14, 2009

Bookmarks


New York reader Hyacinth has asked for bookmark ideas: "Sometimes, when I can't find one, I just crochet about forty or fifty stitches and call it a bookmark. But headed to The Strand tomorrow and know I won't come home with less than an armload. Any ideas?"
As soon as you mentioned crochet, I thought of the bibelot Cristina made last year, pictured above. She adds mini granny squares and beads to her crochet chain. There is also ribbon embroidered or written on with Sharpie, leather scraps cut into rectangles and decorated with little hole punches, dried flowers encased in organza. In the two dimensional realm, my favorite bookmarks are photos and postcards that usually sit in drawers or envelopes marked scrapbook. If it's a flimsy sort of ticket stub, bus transfer, deli number thing, why not laminate it at a kinkos place or stick it between two sheets of clear contact paper, or iron it between two pieces of wax paper - leaves are nice this way. I like old newspaper clippings preserved this way. Let me know what you come up with.

2 comments:

Florida said...

I don't crochet, so I would have to do i-cord with something on each end. Of course, the first thing that comes to mind is a leaf. A flower would be nice too. A leaf and a flower on each end?

hyacinthgirl said...

Will be poking around my apartment tomorrow for bits and bobs to turn into bookmarks! Thank you! Already you gave me the idea of old Broadway ticket stubs, vintage buttons inherited from my grandma, and my favorite words ensconced in a crocheted scapular-type thing-a-ma-bob.

Wonderful ideas! Entire blog post on bookmarks coming soon!