Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Election day


Every election day I think about Irene Williams's "Housetop Variation" from the Quilts of Gee's Bend. I never made the vote vote vote socks I was dreaming of back at the Primary. I'm just going to go cast my vote for Senator Obama, my state propositions, my mayor, my city counsel, my rent board and my parks director in my everyday clothes. I'll be taking my Kindergartner who is home with a cold. I wonder if he'll remember this day and that we wore our everyday clothes?

3 comments:

Kay said...

I have probably told you this before (I love to tell this), but I had a pair of Elephant Bells in that "Vote" fabric, circa 1972. I'm pretty sure it's the same fabric. I wore it with a little top that tied at the waste. Very Captain & Tennille!

I got choked up in the voting booth.....

Anonymous said...

We, the American people in our ordinary clothes, did ourselves proud yesterday.

Anonymous said...

I went and got my nine year old son out of school (something that only happens for really important things) and took him to the polls with me. I wanted him to remember. This is important. I let him press the button. I wanted him to feel a part of this change.