Thursday, October 29, 2009

Pantries


Many thanks to Mary S who suggested I look at The Pantry - Its History and Modern Uses (Pond). It is a wonderful illustrated history of how we store our food. I love the modern DIY pantry a woman built by hacking open the wallboard to store canning jars between the wall studs. 
I have read that designating a place for things (Julia Child's pegboard kitchen walls) is akin to scheduling time for things (Twyla Tharp's Creative Habit). Making a pantry and taking the time to stock it creates order in place and time, and it creates confidence in a future place and time. Pantry-making is going to be my act of confidence in the future, both in earthquake country and shaky times.

6 comments:

Kay said...

I heard about this book when it was being written, and forgot about it. Can't wait to take a look. Wish NY kitchens had pantries.....mine is barely a cupboard. But could be improved, no doubt!

In other news, Catherine Pond has a wonderful blog: http://inthepantry.blogspot.com/

Jennifer said...

Just discovered your blog and am having loads of fun looking around. That book looks fantastic, will have to try to track down a copy.

Sel and Poivre said...

When my pantry is is order, the whole cycle of life in our home generally follows along (order in the Laundry has the same effect!)

Pamela said...

I thought the title to this post was panties. Obviously.

tina said...

Ah, pantries. The stuff of planning and happiness. It is also the window to the soul. When I am strong and confident my pantry has root vegetables and stocks, baking goods for hearty breads, wonderful delightful goods gathered from afar. When I am a little puny of heart or soul my pantry has too much sugary stuff and definitely not the stuff of health and dreams. I'll have to check out the book it looks very interesting!

Unknown said...

I love looking at people's organized pantries! I will check this out. I just discovered your blog via the Mason-Dixon knitting book. Love it.